I have a few ideas for activities in my category named “Keeping Kids Creative”.
My mother had a great idea inspired by our own book club meetings. Why not start a Kids Book Club?
There are so many ways a gathering of similar aged kids could be successful.
A few ideas:
- Offer prizes to those who participate and make the gathering a party-like atmosphere.
- Have kids write their own stories to share from photo or word prompts. Compile the entries in a homemade book for them to keep.
- Ask kids to bring and share their favorite books.
- Offer a book topic, have the kids find a book that reflects the topic, then have a read-a-thon.
- Give kids a camera and have them print out a photo journal of their vacation trip or a topic of interest. (Walmart prints photo books rather cheaply…check out their photo gift page.)
- Have a letter writing campaign. Maybe to long-lost relatives or to a children’s book author.
- Make t-shirts and name your club. Possibly follow one or two specific authors. Contacting that author may be a great idea too. They just might enjoy reaching out to your club.
I’m sure with this germ of an idea, creative parents can come up with others. Consider the cost of the pizza party or photo books, an investment, rather than a burden. When you compare what you spend on day camps, video games and gas running them to other activities, it isn’t much.
Remember parents, grandparents, great-grandparents and mentors: You are the most influential teachers that your kids will ever have.
Just a thought…have a great summer people!
Any other ideas would be appreciated in my comments. 🙂